Strategic Resolution of New York City Real Estate Disputes
Real property disputes can be complicated and involve multiple parties. Any breakdown in the process may cause financial hardship or trigger a wave of other problems. Disputes often arise with neighbors, co-owners, purchasers, sellers or others.
Nadel & Ciarlo can intervene to help parties construct innovative solutions or to protect their interests in court. Our boutique law firm is a leader in New York City real estate litigation. Our skilled lawyers have more than 25 years of experience and a demonstrated record of courtroom victories and negotiated outcomes.
Resolving Real Estate Disputes Through Negotiation or Litigation
Our New York City real estate attorneys practice in city, state and federal courts of the NYC metro area. Our cases range from simple real estate deals gone awry to complex litigation involving large commercial properties. We regularly handle disputes and litigation involving:
- Breach of contract (failure to consummate the deal)
- Fraud, misrepresentation or nondisclosure
- Problems at closing (breach of contract, time is of the essence, title defects, misrepresentations, loan/financing issues, etc.)
- Recovery of down payment or earnest money deposits
- Partition and co-owner disputes
- Quiet title actions
- Declaratory judgment actions
- License and access agreements or actions
- Contractor and construction contracts (delays, change orders, defects)
- Construction litigation (mechanic’s liens, defects, nonperformance)
- Beneficial and other ownership interests
- Lis pendens
- Commercial and residential lease disputes
- Loan workouts
- Distressed real estate
- Constructive trusts
- Mechanic’s liens and contractor disputes
Nadel & Ciarlo represents both sides of transactional disputes. We explore remedies to get the derailed transaction back on track or to make amends, but sometimes it is necessary or advantageous to go to court. Our lawyers will initiate or defend lawsuits and obtain injunctions while continuing to explore negotiated resolutions.
Our attorneys also handle complex real estate transactions, including structuring of commercial property or condo/co-op deals in the context of real estate representation or litigation.
Helping New York Property Owners Resolve Disputes Strategically
Our firm helps property owners in a wide range of legal conflicts, always seeking the most cost-effective and expeditious method:
- Co-owner disputes — We are regularly called upon when parties who own property together have had a falling-out. We handle partition actions and related disputes between family members, estranged couples or real estate investors.
- License and access disputes — Under Section 881 of the New York Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law, property owners can seek permission from the court to enter adjoining premises as necessary to make improvements or repairs. We represent either party in contested proceedings for such access, or in working out the terms of a license agreement, including compensation, duration, scope, terms, bonding, etc.
- Property damage, infringement or nuisance claims — We resolve disputes between neighbors over allegations of noise, nuisance, property damage, easements, adverse possession, etc.
We Are Experienced NYC Trial Lawyers. Contact Us Today.
Nadel & Ciarlo is dedicated to representing your legal interests in negotiations, trials and appeals. We balance your personal and financial stake in the property with practical realities such as the expense and risk of litigation and ongoing relations with family members or neighbors.