Nadel & Ciarlo, P.C.

You can resolve a boundary dispute in a few ways

Boundary disputes are a problem that many people have with their neighbors. The good news is that it's normally fairly easy to determine where a boundary is.

To do so, you'll want to have a property survey. This survey, which is done when you buy a property, should tell you the boundary lines. You'll also want to get an updated boundary line if you plan to put up a fence, so you know you're putting it up on your own land. Sometimes, it's hard to get an updated survey, because the wording of the deed could be confusing. For instance, it might tell you the number of feet the boundary is from a certain part of the land, like a riverbed or dried up stream.

If you're having a boundary dispute but have no way of resolving it without going to court, you can seek out a quiet title lawsuit. This is simply a lawsuit that allows a judge to determine where the boundary of the property is. This will be more costly than other options because of legal filing fees, but it may be necessary depending on your situation.

What should you do if your neighbors will agree on a boundary?

If you can agree to a boundary, then you might want to sign a quitclaim deed that would allow for each party to own the land on one side of a fence, for example. Your attorney can help you draw one up if that's a good option for your case, but it's always best to get a professional survey when possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

We Can Resolve Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

527 Madison Avenue
7th Floor
New York, NY 10022

Toll Free: 800-NYNadel
Phone: 212-317-9500
Fax: 212-317-9849
New York Office Location