As a landlord, there is nothing more enjoyable than finding a good tenant. Your life is much easier when you have someone you can trust living in your property.
Conversely, if you get saddled with a bad tenant, you know just how much stress this can add to your life.
While there is no guaranteed way to land a good tenant every time, there are some steps you can take. Here are a few of the best tips to follow when screening tenants:
- Always request an application: Don’t make the mistake of approving a tenant after a simple conversation. You need to go way deeper than that.
- Run a credit check: This will give you a better idea of a person’s financial past, including whether or not he or she pays the bills in full and on time.
- Run a background check: Are you concerned about a person’s criminal record? A background check will clear the air.
- Talk to previous landlords: This one conversation can provide insight into the type of tenant the person was in the past.
- Conduct a thorough interview: Yes, this takes time, but it’s well worth it in the end. You never know what an interview will turn up.
These are the types of tips you should follow when screening a potential tenant. Even if it slows you down a bit, the peace of mind you acquire is well worth it.
If you run into a situation in which you’re stuck with a bad tenant, it may be time to learn more about your legal rights for removing the person from your property. It’s never fun, but it could be necessary.
Source: Money Crashers, “How to Screen Potential Tenants – Questions, Credit & Background Check,” accessed April 03, 2018