There is no denying the fact that signing a lease will impact your life in many ways. This is why you need to be careful about entering an agreement that doesn’t have favorable terms.
While both the landlord and the tenant need to agree on the terms, you are in the driver’s seat. Here are some of the many questions you can ask to clear the air:
- What is the term of the lease? You need to know how long the lease will last, as it will allow you to better plan for the future.
- What happens if I need to break the lease? While you hope this never happens, you don’t know what the future could bring. It’s best to know your rights upfront.
- What is the cost of rent and when is the payment due? Along with this, you should also ask about the way in which you can pay your rent.
- Are utilities included in the price of rent? You need to know what you are responsible for, as this will help from a budgeting perspective.
- What happens if something needs repaired? You want to know that your landlord will take care of any issues in a timely manner.
These are the types of questions to ask before signing a lease. While these don’t guarantee you will never face a problem, the answers will give you peace of mind.
If you ever find yourself in the middle of a tenant/landlord dispute, it’s important to review your lease as to better understand the terms and conditions.
Source: Hotpads, “15 Questions to Ask Your Landlord Before Signing the Lease,” accessed Aug. 24, 2017